Parsley Butter Escargots Topped with Cream Sauce
L’ escargots: a popular appetizer originated from France. It’s definitely not for everyone, but if you love it, you love it.
They’re not usually as expensive as most people think it would be. I bought a pack of 12 for 8 dollars in a local Market Place in Vancouver. There’s always the canned version that you might also be able to find for a reasonable price.
If you’re into exotic food, this is one of those recipes you definitely have to try!
- 12 escargots (and 12 shells if you buy canned version)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/5 cup crushed garlic
- butter (try not to use margarine, as it tends to be too soft) - for a healthier version you can buy low-fat cooking butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cream
- salt & pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
1. Prepare the escargots first (if you use canned version, make sure they’re drained from excess water).
2. Place prepared escargots each into a shell.
3. Finely chop the parsley into small flakes and mix with a decent amount of butter. (~1 tbsp for each escargot) Season with salt and pepper. Then in a smaller bowl, mix together softened butter, garlic and parsley.
4. Stuff ~1tbsp of the butter mixture into the shell.
5. Bake the escargots in the oven at 200’C for about 10 minutes. You want to thoroughly cook the escargots!
6. To make the sauce, simply saute the onion, then add the flour. Stir until onions and the flour is mixed together. Then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper. (this is exactly the same method you’d use to make a spaghetti cream sauce!)
7. Once escargots are ready, top with sauce, Parmesan cheese and some parsley flakes
You can always make it without the extra cream sauce. But personally, I think it adds a bit more flavor and I love having this with the Parmesan cheese! Bon Appetite!!